MY BOOKS

CHAPTER FIVE

Wendy made Riggs sit down while she prepared him something to eat.

"I'm not taking any chances with you," she said when she brought him his food. "You might turn into a deranged, slavering mutant and eat the crew, and then I'd never get to write about this adventure."

"Probably not, since you'd be the first to go," he said, moving his eyebrows up and down suggestively.

"You're so one dimensional, Irwin," she said, and he flinched as if she had hit him.

"Oh, so now we're going to get personal," he said irritably. "You know how much I hate my name."

"Sorry, I just couldn't help myself," she said contritely. "Maybe I'm more tired than I thought. Probably still having a little thaw-lethargy or something. I'd never call you Irwin just to tease you or anything like that."

"Yeah, right!" he laughed.

"But I wish I wasn't so tired, because I didn't want to go to sleep yet," she said. "I was planning to get some writing done while all this is still fresh in my mind."

"Longing to see your name in lights?" Riggs teased her.

"Something like that," she answered. "Now eat your sandwich and get some rest."

"Yes, ma'am," he said, and did as she asked.

Wendy and Riggs slept near each other in one of the tents. Segal, Banks and James were also there. James had fallen asleep and Segal and Banks were talking quietly, their heads bent close together. Banks had apologized for teasing him, and now the two were the best of friends again. The folly apparently had some kind of artificial night and day, for the "sky" had darkened just as if night had fallen. Some kind of crickets were chirping in the distance. Just outside the tent, Post was seated by a mini-consul, fiddling with knobs and gadgets. Savant was pacing back and forth. She kept reaching for her laser pistol but not drawing it. Instead, she pulled free one of her communicators and flipped a switch.

"Captain, do you read me? I'd like some kind of report over here. Sir? Sir? Damn!" She glanced meaningfully at Post, and he shook his head.

"Nothing," he said.

"Damn!" she said again. "See if you can raise Niamura and ask if he's heard from them."

"Niamura isn't answering, ma'am," said Post. "I've hailed him at least half a dozen times."

"Damn!"

The Captain had taken Nathan and Allen with him to search the area surrounding the perimeter they had put up around their encampment. They had been gone for over an hour, and Edwards had promised to check in every fifteen minutes. He hadn't checked in once.

Savant couldn't take it anymore. She went inside the tent and shook Riggs's arm to wake him, and he flinched with pain.

"Hey, that's my scratched arm!" he complained. Wendy stirred and rubbed her eyes. She grabbed his arm and looked at it closely.

"It's getting infected," she said worriedly. "I just wish I knew with what."

Wendy opened the first aid kit and rummaged for some antibiotics. Riggs barely even flinched when she injected a heavy dose into his arm and pasted on a bandage.

"Thanks," he said, twisting the arm in several circles.

"The Captain and his team have been gone for over an hour," Savant told Riggs. "I hope nothing has gone wrong."

"Hasn't there been any radio contact?" he asked, becoming businesslike.

"None, sir," she answered accordingly. "Post has been trying for at least half an hour. I've tried to raise them, too, but no one is answering."

"Wake the others," Riggs ordered. "We'll have to send somebody out after them."

"Yes, sir," said Savant, saluting him as she turned to go.

"I think it would be best to leave the injured party here," Sergeant Banks said as soon as everyone had gathered. "Sorry, sir, but you'd slow down the search."

"But I'm highest ranked officer with the Captain gone," Riggs said. "That means it's my duty to lead the way."

"No, sir, I must disagree. This may be a bad situation. If the Captain's toast, you're going to have to finish what he started, because I sure don't want the job! We need you here."

"I thought I was supposed to be giving the orders," Riggs complained, but he resumed his seat. "You know, I'm perfectly all right. It's just a scratch."

"We're not taking any chances," Savant insisted. "Four people should be plenty to find them, Wendy. You should probably stay here and make sure he uses the chance to rest. You two just sit quietly until we return, and everything should be just fine."

"Oh, all right," Riggs grumbled. "It'll give me and Wendy a chance to be alone, anyway."

Wendy's mouth opened to protest, but she shut it again. She knew it wouldn't do her any good to protest, and she really didn't want to go with the others. But she didn't like them to leave thinking that she and Riggs were about to make use of their time alone for something other than resting, either.

But she knew exactly why he'd suggested it. He was just trying to get a rise out of her, and she wasn't going to let him do it this time. He had been teasing her since the moment he saw her up and about, and she had played right along willingly. She was too tired to do it anymore.

The rest of the crew went out into the darkness and Wendy sighed as she watched them go.

"Wendy, I'm cold," Riggs said. "Why don't you come sit with me and keep me warm?"

She did so without saying a word. She believed him since she was cold, too. Besides, if he was up to something, she could always retreat.

"There's a blanket in the pack," she suggested, and he pulled the pack to her so she could get it out. They snuggled close together and soon fell back to sleep.

Wendy woke up some time later when she realized that Riggs was kissing the back of her neck. She groaned, half in protest and half in pleasure, and rolled over to face him. He felt hot, but she couldn't tell if it was from fever or desire. It didn't matter, since she herself felt giddy just being near him at the moment.

"How long have we been asleep?" she asked softly, not really caring. Riggs knew she didn't care. He kissed her eyes, then her cheeks and lips, and she opened her mouth for a deeper kiss. They clung together and savored each other for a few moments.

"You know, Nation, this might be the only chance we get..." Riggs mentioned.

Wendy laughed at him. "Never fear, we're going to make it out of here just fine."

"Yeah, but...I kinda thought maybe you were as into me as I'm into you, and well, when we do go back to the ship we'll be going back into cryonics until we get to Omega 17," he said. "Who knows where they'll be sending us from there."

"I...I do want you, Riggs, but.... I haven't ever..." Wendy stammered, blushing and moving away from him. "I mean, I've never really had a chance, what with all my down time, and joining up as soon as I turned sixteen, and..."

"Then maybe it's about time you did," he told her, drawing her into his arms. He kissed her soundly before laying her back on the blanket. Wendy didn't resist at all.