MY BOOKS

CHAPTER TWELVE

The small group they set out with consisted of Riggs, Wendy, Banks, Segal, Post, and three candle bearers, one of which was Lazzo. The women were wearing the loose-fitting robes given to them by Adaman the night before, and everyone was well rested, after a good night's sleep. They were all standing around near an access panel with a huge number forty-eight painted on the front.

"According to my data, the OG unit is somewhere inside this quadrant," said Corporal Savant. "The only problem is, it doesn't give a specific location. It's on this grid, but it doesn't say on which level within the grid."

"There is an old prophecy," Lazzo said, "that the air comes from above, and from below, and that is why it never stales."

"So, what does that mean?" Post asked. "Do we climb up, or down?"

"Seems to me we didn't like what we found out about the lower levels. If we go down, we're likely to drown in sewer water," Riggs said. "I say we're better off to climb up, and search the levels one by one until we locate the unit."

"Yes, sir," said Post enthusiastically. He had been dreading the idea of going down.

"Move it out, people. We're going to pair off in three parties, one candle per group. I want to maintain constant radio contact, and don't be afraid to let me know when you find something we might need."

"Yes, sir," everyone chimed, including the noblemen, who had been observing the behavior of the others and trying to fit in.

Level after level they searched, until finally they reached the tenth floor.

"This is it, people," Riggs said. "It's going to have to be around here somewhere."

"Unless we missed it on one of the other floors," Wendy pointed out.

"Bite your tongue, woman," he said gruffly, then slapped her on the behind. "We're trained professionals. We'd be able to find a specific flea on a dog if we had to."

"Yeah, right," Wendy scoffed.

"You doubt my prowess?" he teased. "Allow me to demonstrate. I'll bet I could find a spot on you that's very ticklish..." Riggs started tickling Wendy's thighs, just below her buttocks, and Wendy squealed as she tried to get away.

"Okay, I give. You win," she said, slapping at his hands. Riggs grabbed her and drew her near again for a kiss. "Come on, Riggs. We have work to do."

"Duty calls," Riggs agreed, kissing her one more time before he let her go. "But I'll deal with you later."

"Promises, promises," Wendy cooed.

"Oh, yeah!" Riggs sang.

Then he opened the hatch to the level, and they all peered inside. It was well lit, and there appeared to be graffiti on all the walls. Various types of debris covered the floor, some of it rubble, and some of it rubbish.

"Something's different about this level," Post said ominously.

"We are not alone," Lazzo agreed. "I've heard rumors about this place, but I never gave them any credit."

"Why? What did you hear?" asked Wendy nervously.

"That people from another city had broken their way through a wall somewhere up here, and have been living here for years and years. They never show themselves, but sometimes supplies go missing, and sometimes food from outside appears, and no one knows from where. It's almost like trading with ghosts."

"Do you suppose they're friendly?" Banks asked doubtfully.

"Well, let's just hope we'll never have to find out," Riggs said briskly. "Teams, this search is the most vital. We know that OG unit's up here somewhere, and we know we might run into trouble. You're all going to need to keep on your toes. Wendy, Savant, you two are with me this time. We won't be needing candles up here."

As they headed out into the corridor, a group of people rounded the corner. They gaped in astonishment, then ran away as fast as they could. Riggs looked at everyone with a raised brow.

"Maybe we should stick together, and keep our weapons ready," Banks suggested.

"Good idea, Sergeant," Riggs agreed, then led them around a corner in the opposite direction from the one the people had just taken. High up in one corner of a building they spotted what they were looking for.

Riggs motioned for Post and Segal to go inside and retrieve it. They burst through the door, guns drawn, but found that the building was empty.

They ran quickly up the stairs, and Segal climbed out on the ledge. The OGU was bulky, about half a meter long, a quarter meter wide and about ten centimeters thick. It was difficult for Segal to hold onto it as he edged back inside.

"Remind me again why I signed up for this job," Segal said when Post took the unit from him.

"For the adventure," Post suggested wryly. Segal pulled a face at him. The men rejoined the others.

"Now, are we going to have a problem getting this thing back out of here?" Wendy asked. "Those guys may have been getting reinforcements."

"Here they come," shouted Banks. "There's about twenty of them, and they're armed to the teeth."

"Well, so are we," said Riggs, drawing a gun. "Ammo's running low. Make your shots count."

"Always do, sir," he said, and fired a warning shot at the feet of the mob. They stopped dead in their tracks and looked the intruders over.

"There's only a handful of 'em, Rush," said one. "We can take 'em easy!"

The leader, Rush, held up a hand, then used it to signal the advance. Guns blazing with red-hot laser fire, they converged on the StarCon team.

"Shoot 'em all, and let the Stars sort 'em out!" shouted Segal, and ran straight into the melee. He managed to take out about six people before a laser sliced through his arm and left it lying on the floor. "Damn! You see what I mean? You join StarCon, and some jerk shoots off your cybernetic appendage."

"Wow! A falsie!" Post said, stunned, then started blasting away himself. Segal retrieved his weapon and started shooting again. The rest of the group also joined in, and soon the air was thick with smoke.

When it finally cleared, two of the candle bearers were dead, and Lazzo was wounded in his shoulder. Not one member of the opposing team was moving.

Wendy picked up Segal's arm. "Say, let me see if I can put this thing back on," she said.

"Segal, you'll have to just bring that thing with," Riggs said. "We're likely to have more company soon if we don't get out of here. You guys can try to put it back later."

"Yes, sir," said Segal, and attempted to salute with his stump. Then he used the good arm instead, and grinned sardonically.

They headed quickly down to ground level again, and did not rest until they were safely inside the iron gates. The magistrate was pleased that at least one of his men had survived to tell him what had happened.

"All is in readiness here," the magistrate announced. "The shuttles are standing by, and so are my people."

"Sorry there's only two shuttles, but the third one apparently got stolen," Riggs said.

"We've waited this long, I don't see why some of us can't wait a bit longer," said the magistrate.

"Banks, radio the shuttle and tell them we're coming aboard," Riggs said. "Then call up Commander Porter and let him know we've got what we came for."

"Will do, sir," Banks said, snapping Riggs a salute.

"Say, Wendy, do you have time to put my arm back on now?" Ensign Segal asked, grinning meekly up at her, arm in hand.

"Sure, Segal," she said. "I'll give it a try."

"You'll have to do that while we're on the shuttle, babe," Riggs told her as he walked briskly past. "It's time to go home."

Wendy smiled and snapped him a salute as they stepped on board.